I was browsing through the Internet the other day and I came across a website that gives random information about a number of different things to do with your home. I thought this was quite a good idea and I also thought that I would compile a few facts that are very specific to the plumbing and heating industry.
- A really good place to ask for recommendations if you are in need of a plumber or heating engineer is a plumbing centre or trade centre. These places would generally only ever recommend people I know have a lot of experience and people that run reputable companies. They would not put their own reputation on the line by recommending someone who has a very poor track record.
- To avoid pipes becoming blocked with hair you can buy a drain strainer that will catch the majority of it. These are very inexpensive and can save you a lot of money on call out charges from a professional plumber.
- If you have a young child you will possibly have baby wipes that claim that they are flushable. The truth is they are not! These wipes cannot breakdown in the same way that toilet paper can and they are a frequent cause of pipe blockages.
- One common way that exposed pipes break and cause floods is that people hang wet clothes on them to dry. The sheer weight of wet clothes can easily be too much for long pipes, especially if they are not correctly fastened to the wall.
- A highly reputable plumbing and heating company might charge a little bit more for their services, but by paying a little bit more in a short-term you will often save a lot of money in the long term as you will not have to keep calling the company back when things go wrong with an installation.
- Taps that is constantly dripping can waste over 5 gallons of water every day and a toilet that is constantly ramming can waste over 200 gallons of water every day. If you are on a water meter, then these facts should make you want to get up out of your chair and check your taps and toilets; these could be costing you a lot of money.
- Many people think that scraps of food are the leading cause of pipe blockages in your sink, but the truth is that grease is the main cause.
Much like anything in life there is a wealth of information available on the Internet about plumbing and heating. Some of this information you might already know, some of it you might not be interested in knowing about anyway, but there is a chance that some of it could be quite interesting and maybe even help you to overcome a problem or avoid a problem in the first place.
To finish off with, here are a couple of random facts relating to a plumbing and heating industry:
- Manhole covers are round because if thou turn sideways it is impossible for them to fall through the whole.
- The flushing toilet was invented by John Harrington which is why many people refer to the toilet as ‘The John’