Testosterone, a hormone produced primarily in the testes and that also produce sperm .It is needed for the normal growth and development of the male sex organs and for maintenance of other sexual characteristics. The amount of testosterone produced by the testes is regulated by the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland. Testosterone is needed for the following:
- Proper growth of male sex organs
- Development of hair in men, like facial hair
- Regulation of body and muscle mass
- A healthy sex drive
- Mood and energy level
- Bone strength
- Sperm production
Since testosterone is so important, you need to ensure that you are healthy and that you naturally ensure that your testosterone levels are sufficient. This will ensure that benefit from healthy muscle gain, improved moods and a healthy sex drive. Ways to enhance you levels may include:
- Enough sleep: You should aim for at least 7 hours of sleep every night, and you can also take a nap during the day if possible. This will ensure that you are not tired or fatigued.
- Get lean and stay lean: The more weight you carry, the lower your testosterone levels will be. The healthiest way to achieve an ideal weight and stay lean is to have a balanced diet and exercise regularly.
- Get enough Zink: zinc plays an important part in testosterone production. Therefore, rrestricting dietary sources of zinc leads to a significant decrease in testosterone.
- Limit alcohol intake (especially beer): alcohol consumption definitely has a negative impact on testosterone levels, not to mention your waistline.
- Control your carbohydrate intake: immediately following any high-carbohydrate meal there is a temporary drop in testosterone levels. Although this drop is only temporary, if you are eating more than 3 carbohydrate meals a day it might reduce your testosterone levels.
- Limit sugar intake: glucose (sugar) decreases testosterone levels in the blood by as much as 25 percent, which is likely caused by a high insulin level.
- Exercise: 45 minutes or less of exercise will be sufficient. Once you start getting beyond 45-minutes of working out hard, your testosterone might decrease due to a rise in cortisol levels.
These are just some of the natural ways in which you can ensure that your testosterone levels remain optimal and healthy. If you suspect that you might have a shortage in testosterone, you can make an appointment with your physician to have yourself checked and find out if treatment is required.
HealthLine.com is a popular resource that offers expert health advice from qualified professionals and experienced contributors. Find out more about testosterone levels from Healthline.com.