Tea has been grown and used in beverages for centuries by numerous cultures. We often associate drinking it with general health benefits, without really knowing what they are.
Oolong tea is made from the Camellia Sinensis plant and comes in a number of different varieties, with the most well-known coming from China’s Fujian province. But why should we drink tea in the first place, and why specifically should we drink Oolong tea over other teas?
The Benefits of Drinking Oolong Tea
It’s quite widely known that most types of tea contain antioxidants. Antioxidants are beneficial because they help to rid our bodies of free radicals, which have been linked to cancer. Oolong contains a substance called catechin, which helps in the fight against free radicals in the body. What else does it do for us? Consider the following health benefits of Oolong tea:
- Drinking hot tea can help us to feel calm and reduce stress and anxiety. Keep calm and drink oolong tea on a regular basis!
- Drinking Oolong tea regularly helps us to maintain a healthy weight and burn fat, because it boosts our metabolism slightly for up to two hours after drinking it. As well as containing natural antioxidants like catechin, the Oolong tea leaf also contains polyphenols, which help our bodies to block the action of enzymes that build fat. Drinking Oolong daily whilst eating a healthy diet and doing regular exercise can help us to get the most out of a weight loss plan.
- Along with its fat burning properties, Oolong’s polyphenols also activate an enzyme in our bodies called lipase. This is an enzyme that is known to dissolve body fat.
- Even though caffeine often gets a bad rap these days because it is the prime ingredient in energy drinks, in much smaller doses it can actually help us to maintain general alertness and improved mental performance. The Oolong tea leaf contains caffeine, so drinking it once per day can help us to stay alert and mentally energized. Who needs those energy drinks?
- Unsurprisingly, a nice cup of Oolong tea can help us to digest food more easily. It helps to alkalize our digestive tracts, which reduces any inflammation. If you suffer heartburn or ulcer problems, drinking Oolong may help you.
- Having Oolong daily is not just about drinking it. Did you know that you can also make a hair rinse out of the tea? Using it like this can soften your hair, give it a nice luster and even help in the prevention of hair loss because of the antioxidant content.
- The polyphenols in Oolong also help to metabolize sugars, so it’s also a great way for those suffering from diabetes to help maintain their general health.
- Oolong tea also helps to strengthen the immune system due to the action of flavonoids contained in it. They help in the prevention of cellular damage and even help our bodies to fight off infection more aggressively if imbibed regularly.
- For the elderly, it is well worth adding Oolong tea to the regular diet because the magnesium and calcium it contains can help to increase bone density.
Oolong Tea for Health and Happiness
Oolong tea provides many health benefits to those who drink it regularly. Even if you’re not totally aware of all of the small benefits it does provide, you’re likely aware of just how relaxing and calming a nice cup of tea can be. The stress reduction alone is a health benefit all unto itself!