Apple Cider Vinegar has proven to be extremely beneficial to health. It is by far one of the most popular forms of vinegar that is used in health care. It has several benefits including better skin and hair health and is commonly used as a weight loss remedy.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar is made from Apple and cider by adding yeast and acetic acid forming bacteria to it in order to ferment it. All the sugars in the cider are converted into alcohol to prepare the vinegar. The liquid is amber or pale yellow in color.
It has often been used as a traditional folk remedy. However, it was in the 1970s that the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar towards weight loss and infection prevention came into limelight, making it extremely popular.
Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits
As mentioned before, Apple Cider Vinegar has several benefits including:
- Prevention of Bacterial Infection : The father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, used vinegar to dress and clean wounds years ago. Apple Cider Vinegar has been used to treat ear infections, warts and even lice along with bacterial infection. When diluted and used, Apple Cider Vinegar is extremely beneficial in getting rid of skin acne. Using it in your food can also prevent the growth of certain strains of bacteria and prevents them from spoiling the food.
- Helps you Manage Weight : Using Apple cider vinegar along with foods that are high in carbs is known to leave you feeling fuller and more satiated. Research shows that those who include Apple Cider Vinegar in their diet consume as much as 275 calories lesser through the day. In addition to that Apple Cider Vinegar helps regulate the insulin levels in the body, aiding weight loss.
- Helps Control Blood Sugar and Insulin Levels : One of the most important benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar has been observed in patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Apple cider vinegar helps lower blood sugar levels in diabetic individuals as well as in healthy individuals by improving insulin sensitivity. The blood sugar is reduced by almost 34% when Apple Cider Vinegar is consumed with a high car meal. It is recommended that you consume 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar before bed for better regulation of sugar in the body.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Diseases by Lowering Cholesterol Levels : One of the several Apple Cider Vinegar uses is that it helps manage several risk factors that can lead to heart diseases. The antioxidant, chlorogenic acid that is present in Apple Cider Vinegar prevents the oxidization of LDL cholesterol, which is very important in preventing the chances of heart diseases. A study conducted by the Harvard University revealed that women who used Apple Cider Vinegar as a dressing in their foods were at a lower risk of heart diseases. It also lowers blood pressure, which is an important preventive measure against heart diseases. Apple Cider Vinegar also reduces the levels of triglyceride and cholesterol in the body, thus improving heart health.
- Better Absorption of Vitamins and Minerals : Apple Cider vinegar helps the body absorb nutrients such as folates, iron and Vitamin B6. When the stomach is unable to produce enough acids, nutrition absorption is impaired. This is because of the acidic nature of Apple Cider Vinegar, which helps, in better digestion.
- Bloating is Reduced : The acidic nature of Apple Cider Vinegar also boosts the movement of food in the small intestine as per the research conducted by the Kellman Center for Integrative and Functional Medicine. When food digests slowly, it can lead to acid re-flux as well as bloating. With Apple Cider Vinegar, this uneasiness is alleviated.
- Keeps the pH level in the body balanced : When you consume acidic foods like Apple Cider Vinegar, the pH of the body is neutralized. The body becomes more alkaline in nature as well. According to research, those who have a body that is more alkaline tend to have better mineral density in the bones. As a result, Apple Cider Vinegar also promotes better bone health with regular consumption.
What type of Apple Cider Vinegar should you Consume?
Several kinds of Apple Cider Vinegar are available. It is best to choose organic and raw apple cider vinegar for maximum health benefits. Look for Apple Cider Vinegar with “Mother”. This is the best apple cider vinegar as it contains live cultures in it and is not pasteurized. When you look at the liquid, you will see that it is slightly stringy and not entirely clear. This type of Apple Cider Vinegar is more natural and beneficial.
Side Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar
For the most part, apple cider vinegar is safe to consume. However, when consumed orally, some individuals may experience damage to the soft tissues in the stomach, kidneys, and throat. When used topically, make sure that you do not get any in your eyes as it can cause serious damage. When you are using it topically on your skin, make sure that you apply a small amount on the elbow to conduct an allergy test. If there is any reaction, you must avoid using apple cider vinegar directly on the skin.
The dosage is extremely important as excessive Apple Cider Vinegar can lead to extremely low potassium levels in the body.
It is a good idea to consume about 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar each day. You can use it as a dressing for salads. You can also make an apple cider vinegar beverage by mixing one tablespoon in a glass of water.
Apple cider vinegar should not be consumed when you are pregnant or when you are breastfeeding as it can be hazardous to the health of the baby. It is advisable to consult a certified health expert before Apple Cider Vinegar consumption for dosage and use.