Medication is an important part of the pregnancy and unnecessary medications should be avoided at the time of your pregnancy. But, sometimes when you cannot suffer the problems without medications, you will have to take the suggestions from your doctor what type of medications will be safe in your pregnancy. Here some problems are listed below.
Medicine for pain
Sufficient rest and cold compress can relief your pain like a headache and muscles pain during pregnancy. If you need medicine, you should avoid NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) and aspirin-like ibuprofen and naproxen. Some research results that these types of pain medication while pregnant woman at the early stage ofpregnancy is harmful and these can lead to miscarriage as well as the birth defects.
Medicine for cold and allergies
Sometimes, it is not possible to get through without any symptoms of a cough and cold. There are some ways to get relief without medications like sufficient rest, taking warm fluids, using nasal spray etc. But, when the symptoms get severe, you will have to take advice from your doctor for the recommendation of medicine which is safe in your pregnancy. The doctor may suggest antihistamine chlorpheniramine which is taken as a safe option. If you need the nasal spray, you can take the spray which contains oxymetazoline which is not harmful in your pregnancy.To avoid cough product is safe in your pregnancy because it contains iodine as well as a high level of alcohol which influences the life-threatening problems of thyroid in the fetus.
Medicine for skin disorder
During the pregnancy, you will have to experience some skin disorders due to hormonal changes. Some common problems are stretch marks on the skin, acne, varicose veins, spider veins, melisma, dark spots on breast etc. You can take the advice to a dermatologist for the pregnancy skin disorders medication. Stretch marks will not resolve completely. It is essential to maintain general hygiene habits to avoid some skin problems. During pregnancy, you can use the products which contain topical benzoyl peroxide, azelaic acid, salicylic acid and glycolic acid.
Some unsafe medications during pregnancy
- Hormonal therapy is not safe in your pregnancy, because it increases the risk for congenital abnormalities.
- A type of antibiotic like oral tetracycline which enhances the discoloration of infant’s tooth, if it is taken after the month of four in pregnancy. This type of medication can cause a fetal growth of bone.
- A form of vitamin A like topical retinoid is harmful in your pregnancy.
- It will be safe to avoid a group of medicine named as ACE inhibitors which are commonly used for the treatment of high blood pressure. These medicines can damage the fetal kidneys if these are used after the first trimester.
- To prevent hemorrhoids and constipation you should avoid laxative stimulant like castor oil which can trigger labor.
- Avoid the products which contain hydrocortisone for the treatment of hemorrhoids.
Finally, you will have to try to avoid the unnecessary medications and you should maintain the general health and hygiene rules to stay healthy in your pregnancy.