Just the name “sponge cakes” is enough to create a picture of comfort food in a person’s mind. Popular, easy to make, and available in a number of varieties, sponge cakes are boons to those who love eating delicious desserts but are not very handy in the kitchen. Or if you know someone who would rather enjoy some, then give them a surprise and send them a Chocolate Victoria Sponge Cake! The basic ingredients that are commonly used in all sponge cakes (and in a number of other cakes too!) are eggs, flour,chocolates, salt, sugar, lemon, and a flavour as per choice, but let’s look at some of the varieties of sponge cakes available in the market as well as with the online cake ordering services for you to compare and choose from:
- Simple sponge cake – As the name suggests, this is just a regular sponge cake without any extravagant toppings, frostings, or exquisite flavour. Perfect for a low-key evening occasion, or to bake and preserve for guests who pop in and out of your house often, the ingredients that are used to bake this cake are eggs, sugar, flour, juice and rind of lemons, and just a pinch of salt.
- Lemon Sponge Cake –Give the traditional sponge cake a tangy twist by adding a few tbsp. of lemon juice, zest of lemons, and a few pecans, coarsely chopped. All the other ingredients remain the same, but the addition of more tang, one can enjoy a perfect blend of the tangy and sweet flavours in this sponge cake.
- Fruity Sponge Cake – To make this fresh flavoured sponge cake, the ingredients required are sifted flour, corn starch, eggs, few tbsp. of water, vanilla, cream of tartar, sugar, and a pinch of salt. The speciality of this cake would be the fruity whipped cream frosting which would contain heavy cream well whipped, seedless grapes, orange slices, some dry fruits, and some light corn syrup. The frosting will give the whole cake a completely different flavour that will make you feel light and refreshed.
- Water Sponge Cake – This is one for those who love experimenting with different dessert recipes. Water sponge cakes are amazing to look at and rather interesting to taste too. To make this cake, one would need eggs, pure vanilla essence, sugar, flour, baking powder, cold water, and a pinch of salt. Once done, you can enjoy this simple to prepare but unique to taste sponge cake with your family and friends who will surely marvel at its extraordinary appearance.
- Ginger Sponge Cake – Who knew that spices and cakes could be a part of one recipe?! Ginger has a pungent taste and odour and is usually used to prepare curries or in flavoured teas, but ginger is in fact used in several snacks in Asian countries where it is commonly grown and used on a daily basis. To make this cake, you’ll need buttermilk, molasses, and baking soda, flour, freshly cut ginger, butter, and egg.
So the next time you want to impress someone special, send them one of these sponge cakes by post to become an instant hit with them!