It’s great to feel confident when you greet people with a big smile so you want to be sure that smile is looking it’s best at all times. A smile can change someone’s day, just try smiling as you go through your day, even boost your own confidence with the tips below for a whiter, brighter smile.
Here are 5 tips from a Surrey dentist.
- Diet – consuming beverages such as red wine and coffee cause staining as we’re all well aware. However even those healthy citrus fruits can eat way at enamel, even to the dentin below and result in yellowish teeth. With all the healthy benefits of these fruits as well as others you don’t want to eliminate them from your diet. Just remember to rinse your mouth and brush your teeth afterwards, and sugary snacks and drinks should not be consumed between meals to maintain healthy teeth.
- Keep the mouth moist – saliva naturally dilutes the acid contents of food and beverages, if you suffer from dry mouth remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Quit smoking – cigarette smoking, chewing tobacco and some recreational drugs contribute to yellowish teeth, talk to your doctor or dentist about methods and medications to kick the habit.
- Use a whitening toothpaste – brushing for 2 minutes, twice a day along with flossing both times are important to maintain healthy teeth. Using a toothpaste that helps to whiten your teeth should be part of your routine everyday as well.
- Professional whitening – there are over the counter products that make bold claims when it comes to promising whiter teeth. For best results a whitening procedure with your dentist is going to yield superior result. A course of two treatments is usually necessary to have teeth white again. During the first visit impressions (molds) are made of your to to produce clear, plastic trays custom fitted for your mouth. The next appointment involves making sure the trays fit and any adjustments necessary are done. At home the trays are worn twice a day for 30 minutes or overnight for a couple of weeks, depending on the degree of staining and desired level of whitening. While no treatment is permanent this procedure will produce longer lasting results and is more effective than drugstore products.
Searching for dental care in Surrey, BC contact Proactive Dental Studio.